Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Birthday McKenna and Lucas!

Happy Birthday to my wonderful children, McKenna and Lucas. Three years ago today, I woke up and got ready to go have my 35 week check up. For some reason that morning I told Mike that he better throw our bag in the car "just in case". See, at this point I had already spent 2 weeks on strict bed rest for premature labor. I was hoping I would go in, the doctor would tell me everything looked good and I would be able to go home because my doctor was out of town and would be back in 2 days. That wasn't what happened.

I walked into the clinic and they took me back to the lab to have my blood pressure checked and get a urine sample. Then I was taken to the room where they hooked me up to the baby monitor to check the babies heart rates and check to make sure I wasn't contracting. After that testing, they moved me to another exam room where I waited to see my doctor's partner. When she came into the room she said my tests showed that I was having pre-eclampsia and it looked like we were probably going to be having babies that day.
So, we were sent over to the hospital where they were going to try for another couple of hours to get my blood pressure down. All attempts to decrease my blood pressure were unsuccessful and at 2:30 pm it was decided that we were going into surgery at 3:00. Mike and I quickly made the phone calls to let my parents and his mom know that we would most likely have babies here by 4:00. Mike's mom immediately left work and my parents began the 500 mile drive to the Twin Cities.

At 3:30pm McKenna was born weighing 4 pounds 10 ounces and 17 inches long. Lucas was born at 3:31 pm weighing 4 pounds 12 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long.

Today they turn three. I know everyone always asks where the time has gone, but today I will be asking myself that same question. I miss the days of them napping in their swings or giving me those toothless grins they once had. But, I thoroughly enjoy watching them grow into the people they are today and will be in the years to come.

Not only am I enjoying the people they are becomming, but I am enjoying they changes they have brought out in me. They are helping me to work on parst of myself that have never been strong points. I have never been much of a patient person, but they remind me on a daily basis that I need to try and be more patient. They have also reminded me of things that are the most important in my life. Faith - their pure belief in things they can't see reminds to have faith as well. Family - having them in my life makes me cherish everyday with them and it makes me appreciate everything my parents went through while raising me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIDS!

- Amy

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday little ones. I love hearing birth stories and this one is doubly exciting. :)

    3 is a fun year. Our boys both became less picky about eating and developed a love for books. But they also got the attitude of teenagers. Here's hoping you guys have a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete